About Local 1274
Welcome to the website of the North Suburban Teachers Union, Local 1274 of the American Federation of Teachers. The NSTU is a dynamic, growing organization of almost 2,000 dedicated education professionals, including teachers and support staff from school districts throughout the northern suburbs of Chicago -- from Skokie north to Northfield, and from Wilmette west to Norridge. We serve in school districts that range in size from around 50 teachers to nearly 400.
We are united by our common devotion to the cause of educating children in the best way possible. Here are some of our successes:
- We teach in, support, and maintain some of the best schools in the nation, and are proud that our dedication to strong unionism has served these schools and their communities so well.
- The North Suburban Teachers Union has developed a sterling reputation in Illinois--and, indeed, the nation--as a high capacity union. Our members have negotiated strong contracts that provide for a high quality education for our students and excellent working conditions for our members. We have always been stalwart in the protection of our contracts and in amicably negotiating successor agreements with our employers.
- We also have a strong political voice. Our members work for pro-education candidates in local, statewide, and national elections, as well as for local education issues, such as referenda.
- Local 1274 continues to lead the way in induction and mentoring programs for teachers and support staffs alike.
- Not surprisingly, the NSTU has been a breeding ground for union leadership, sending leaders into the IFT as field staff, IFT Executive Board members, and as IFT President, including former NSTU President Jim Dougherty and current President Dan Montgomery.
Whether you are a member looking for a newsletter online, or a curious visitor, we welcome you in solidarity with the union movement. We'd like to hear from you. Just click on the CONTACT US link to drop us a line!