Southwest Suburban Federation of Teachers

AFT Local 943

Local 943 Scholarship

Every year the Southwest Suburban Federation of Teachers, AFT Local 943, will award two scholarships in the amount of fifteen hundred dollars ($1,500.00) each.

The applicant must be the child of a currently employed, active member in good standing of Local 943; or the child of a member of Local 943’s retiree chapter; or the child of a deceased member who was in good standing at the time of death.

The applicant must be a member of a public high school graduation class and enrolling in a public college or university (including community colleges).

Selection will be made on the basis of these four criteria:

1. official scores on the ACT/SAT entrance examinations 

2. record of extra-curricular activities and community service

3. two (2) references by members of the staff of the student’s high school where he/she is currently enrolled

4. a 100-word essay which details future aspirations.

These components will be examined by the Scholarship Committee whose decision will be final. The scholarship is unrestricted as to race, religion, political affiliation, financial status or course of study.

Local 943 Scholarship

Deadline to apply for the 2018 scholarship was 5 p.m. Friday, March 30, 2018.

CONGRATULATIONS 2018 WINNERS

Tess Santoro, graduate of Lockport Township High School, attending Central Michigan University in the fall.

Mom, Karen Santoro, is a teacher and union member at Harnew School, Ridgeland SD122.

Ellery Pazanin, graduate of Thornton Fractional South, attending Purdue University Northwest in the fall.

Mom, Jeannine Pazanin, is a teacher and union member at Wilson Elementary School, Calumet City SD155.

Copyright © 2014 Illinois Federation of Teachers