Southwest Suburban Federation of Teachers

AFT Local 943

Scholarship 2017
Scholarship 2017-1

Stephanie Garoufalis is going to attend the University of Iowa to prepare to become a nurse. She was a student of Carl Sandburg High School and her mother, Lenore, works in Orland School District 135. Stephanie's strong work ethics and leadership abilities have allowed her to be accepted into the honors program at U of Iowa and she is enrolled in an eleven-week certified nursing assistant program where she expects to obtain patient contact hours. This will allow her to have a job on campus giving her access to different type of patients and their needs. She was a member of Sandburg's National Honor Society, an AP Scholar and an Illinois State Scholar. She loves to play tennis, and was Co-Captain of her varsity team. Her love of music lead her to be Co-President of the Philharmonic Orchestra at Sandburg and she worked with the Orland Jr. High summer orchestra.

Mallory Strauch was a student at Amos Alonzo Stagg High School and is going to Illinois State University this fall. She said she has "A genuine passion for the power of language and its ability to tell a story, express emotion, and be inspirational." Her enthusiasm for language has Mallory planning to major in English at ISU and become an English teacher. Michaele Strauch, her mother, works in Will Springs School District 108 and is very supportive of her decision to teach. Mallory was a member of the National French Honor Society, National Honor Society and the Advisory Program at Stagg. She was also involved in Orchestra, Orchesis, Theater and Pom Pons. Mallory's teachers say she is hard working, thoughtful, reflective and incredibly motivated to succeed.

Local 943 Scholarship

Every year the Southwest Suburban Federation of Teachers, AFT Local 943, will award two scholarships in the amount of one thousand dollars ($1,000.00) each.

The applicant must be the child of a currently employed, active member in good standing of Local 943; or the child of a member of Local 943’s retiree chapter; or the child of a deceased member who was in good standing at the time of death.

The applicant must be a member of a public high school graduation class and enrolling in a public college or university (including community colleges).

Selection will be made on the basis of these five criteria:

1. official scores on the ACT/SAT entrance examinations

2. class rank, and GPA (1st semester of senior year)

3. record of extra-curricular activities and community service

4. two (2) references by members of the staff of the student’s high school where he/she is currently enrolled

5. a 100 word essay which details future aspirations.

These components will be examined by the Scholarship Committee whose decision will be final. The scholarship is unrestricted as to race, religion, political affiliation, financial status or course of study.

Local 943 Scholarship 2017

Deadline to apply for the 2017 scholarship was 5 p.m. Thursday, March 30, 2017.

Winners of the 2016 scholarships are Sara Kiziak and Alyssa Valek.  Congratulations!!!!

Copyright © 2014 Illinois Federation of Teachers